The Council is made up of the Mayor and 5 council members. Members serve 2 year staggered terms and are elected at-large to serve the whole community, not a certain geographic area.
Qualifications of Office
A candidate must:
- Be a United States citizen
- Be 21 years of age or older on the first day of term
- Be a registered voter at the time of filing.
- Have resided continuously within the city limits of Mart for at least 6 months prior to filing for office
- Have not been convicted of a felony or an offense involving moral turpitude for which the person has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities
- Have not been determined mentally incompetent by final judgement of a court